Saturday 11 February 2023

MAVERICK PRODUCTIONS 20th ANNIVERSARY

Maverick Productions is celebrating its 20th anniversary today, having been officially founded on 11th February 2003.

My love of media production started in 1991 while sitting thoroughly bored in a woodwork lesson at Brownedge St Mary's High School in Bamber Bridge. While we were busily making toast racks, my teacher was sitting in a far corner with the school video camera editing footage of the school trip to France. 

He looked equally bored.

I wandered over to investigate and within moments he had cheerfully handed over editing duties to me. From that moment on I never darkened a workbench again and my love of media production began.

I was the first person in the country to ever make a documentary for a GCSE exam and progressed on media courses through college and university before graduating in 2000. By this point I had already started filming weddings and special events for friends and family and had set up a rudimentary home studio.

Within two years I was attracting enough work to set up in business officially and the first official project was a promotional film for Enterprise in Leyland.

Between 1999 and 2016 I produced over 300 projects, including commercial promos, training videos, theatre performances and many, many weddings but as standard definition video was phased out I decided to move almost exclusively into audio work for the next few years. I have also hosted weekly quiz and bingo nights continuously since 1999 and absolutely love it!

The last seven years have found me recording voiceovers for promotional films and radio slots, acting parts in audio dramas, audiobooks for various authors, plus producing hundreds of hours of podcasts just for fun!

As I enter my 20th official year in business there are several exciting new projects on the go, including a new series of promotional films for a large medical company and compiling a series of newly-discovered archive interviews with people from across Lancashire.

Media production continues to be a lot of fun and, as with all things we enjoy, there are never enough hours in the day to produce all the things I want to do. Raising a mic to the next 20 years!

Ken Moss
February 2023
 

No comments:

Post a Comment